26 March 2019

Parenting Past And Present

My husband's friend called him up yesterday. His excitement was palpable even on the phone. Their son had been accepted into California Institute of Technology to do his masters in Aeronautical Engineering. They were jubilant.They were going to the US to help their son settle down.  As  parents they were going to help their son  in his admissions and  in the accommodation process.

Rewind to the year 1988. I was on a train travelling from Guwahati to Delhi carrying my dreams in a holdall. I had first heard about JNU and DU through friends and neighbors. Students and faculty members who were Delhi-returned always impressed me. I was determined to pursue my post graduation from Delhi. All that I had heard was that there was to be an entrance exam and if I cleared it, I could get admission into the prestigious Delhi University. When I broached the topic of this grand plan of mine, my father immediately rubbished the idea.

I harped on for days about my intentions. Mealtimes resembled a cold war zone. I stuck to my guns and my father retaliated with some tales about how Mr X, Y or Z's child who had gone to study in  Delhi and had returned a recluse. In their attempt to dissuade me, my parents  would often quote that everyone in the DU campus smoked weed. They went on to great lengths to explain how Delhites had a 'criminal mentality' and that rape and molestations were rampant there.

Nevertheless, being a stubborn Scorpion, I carried on my feud with them. I was 20 years old, naive and unexposed to any place or culture other then my own. But the young are fearless and adventure runs in their blood. So I decided to carry on with my plans regardless.


My Sister and my brother in law were quite supportive of my plans to study at Delhi University

My parents belonged to that generation where the elders dictated and the youngsters just meekly followed. They cared for their children but they had a different approach to parenting. We didn't argue with our parents and their word was law. Yet I was a rebellious child and never went by the rule book. My father was strict but I preferred to do things my way. In my opinion, our generation was never close to our parents. We respected them but they were not our buddies.


My parents And Me
Parenting today is a whole new ball game. Parents are totally involved in the holistic development of the child. They share their views and opinions. They have open discussions. The whole family plans together- meals, holidays, future career plans, you name it! 

My father did not come with me to Delhi for my admissions. My father never looked into my school or college syllabus or admissions. He disagreed with my  choices but in the end, I guess things worked out okay. Today I understand that fathers played a different role in those days. They were loving, caring and protective. They just had their own ways of showing it.


This post has been written for Indiblogger -InSpireEdition266

 

29 comments:

  1. Nice pleasant memoir drawing attention to changes...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, parenting is immensely different today with parents going the extra mile at every step.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, so parents today have certain technological advantages. However, the parents of a few decades ago also had certain advantages over their own parents and grand-parents... and the sequence never ends. Parenting, I believe, has always tried to be as good as the times.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Today's parents also talk about Mr.X, Y or z's child, but they (today's parents) are more involved with the kids than they were in the past. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderfully expressed.
    The post reminds me of memories which were not so different. I wanted to enjoy the hostel life which was never materialzed :D
    Nothing went wrong but what I missed is missed anyways.
    Rupali

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jab we met @Delhi.Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sorry but I disagree with this statement "our generation was never close to our parents" and that parents of the previous generations weren't that involved with their child's life and vice-cersa for the present generation parents. That's, in my opinion, a blanket statement. In fact, in my case, it has been the other way around, my parents gave me, my brother and my sister complete freedom to choose whichever way we wanted to go. Yes, we have had disagreements (arguments too) but they were never rigid and alwways supported us in whatever we chose to do. And even to this day, we have been more like friends. I wouldn't say that we were just plain lucky. I have seen the same thing with quite a few of my friends' families too.
    But I will add that now thanks to the internet and other such sources, parents of this age are more aware about several things. However do they really spare that much time for their kids? Or should I say, are they able to? Opinions will vary.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmm is anyone else encountering problems with the images on this blog loading?
    I'm trying to determine if its a problem on my end or
    if it's the blog. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi, i feel that i saw you visited my blog so i came to go back the choose?.I'm trying to in finding
    things to enhance my web site!I suppose its good enough to use some of your ideas!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good post. I learn something new and challenging
    on blogs I stumbleupon every day. It's always helpful to read articles from other writers and use a little something from their
    web sites.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I constantly spent my half an hour to read this blog's content daily along with a cup
    of coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  12. There is certainly a lot to know about this topic. I like all of the points you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  13. There's certainly a lot to learn about this topic.
    I love all of the points you have made.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I blog frequently and I genuinely appreciate your content.
    This great article has really peaked my interest. I am going to book mark your site and keep checking for new details about once a week.
    I opted in for your Feed as well.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I couldn't refrain from commenting. Exceptionally well written!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Piece of writing writing is also a excitement, if you
    be familiar with afterward you can write or else it is difficult to write.

    ReplyDelete
  17. That is a great tip particularly to those fresh to
    the blogosphere. Simple but very precise information… Many thanks for sharing this one.
    A must read article!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Spot on with this write-up, I seriously believe this site needs
    much more attention. I'll probably be returning to see more,
    thanks for the info!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Awesome article.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I don't even know the way I stopped up here, however I
    assumed this put up was once good. I don't recognize who you are but certainly you are going to a famous blogger when you are not already.
    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Touche. Solid arguments. Keep up the good spirit.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hey! I know this is kind of off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my comment form?

    I'm using the same blog platform as yours and I'm having
    problems finding one? Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Thanks for a marvelous posting! I actually enjoyed reading it,
    you're a great author. I will make sure to bookmark your blog and will
    often come back someday. I want to encourage one to continue your great work, have a nice
    evening!

    ReplyDelete
  24. This site really has all the information I needed about this subject and didn't know
    who to ask.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Great web site. A lot of useful info here. I'm sending it to several
    pals ans also sharing in delicious. And of course, thank
    you on your sweat!

    ReplyDelete
  26. Lovely write up.Thoroughly enjoyed reading it

    ReplyDelete

 
;